Helping clients navigate their family building journey.
International or Intercountry Adoption
For families wishing to adopt internationally, Jennifer will share her experience and knowledge in navigating and understanding the process.
Once you return home with your child, she will assist in obtaining a state issued birth certificate through the re-adoption process or other administrative process. As of April 1, 2008, if your child is adopted from a Hague Country, you should be able to obtain a United States Hague Adoption Certificate without any further legal process in your home state. If you go to http://adoption.state.gov/hague_convention/adoptions_from_us/certificates.php and f and and follow the link to Form DS 5509, you can request the Certificate. See also: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/usc_sec_42_00014931----000-.html which is the United States Code, 42 U.S.C. 14931, which provides the legal authority for the Hague Certificate of Adoption.
However, it remains a general recommendation that clients who adopt internationally complete a re-adoption in Maryland. Jennifer handles re-adoptions for a flat fee. The reasons to go through the re-adoption process include changing the child's name if necessary, having Maryland documents (final adoption decree) that can be used if needed instead of using a Foreign Decree (often only one provided) and to obtain a Certificate of Birth from Maryland (or D.C.) for foreign born children. However, Maryland has an administrative process to obtain the Certificate of Foreign Birth if a name change and additional documents are not needed. A Certificate of Birth does NOT establish citizenship and the document itself will state that it is not proof of citizenship.
For great information on actions you should take post adoption click here: http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/pdf/PostAdoptPaperwork.pdf
Below are helpful links for International adoption forms.
- Form I-600AApplication for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition
- Form I-600Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative
- Form I-800AForm I-800A, Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country
- Form I-800Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative
- Form G-28Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.
- Form I-864AContract Between Sponsor and Household Member
- Form I-864Affidavit of Support Under Section 213 of the Act
- Form N-600Application for Certification of Citizenship
- Form N-600KApplication for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322
- Form DS-11Application for U.S. Passport or Registration
- Form DS-230Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration