After successfully obtaining visitation for a de facto mother at the trial court and at the the Maryland Court of Special Appeals that de facto parents are entitled to visitation in the reported case of Janice M. v. Margaret K., Ms. Fairfax argued the case before the Maryland Court of Appeals. Amicus Briefs supporting her positions were filed by NCLR, ACLU, NASW and the University of Baltimore Law School. The Maryland Court of Appeals dealt a serious blow to the LGBT community in its decision, Janice M. v. Margaret K., 404 Md. 661, in holding that Maryland does not recognize defacto parents. The case can be found at http://mdcourts.gov/opinions/coa/2008/122a06.pdf.
Publications and Media
Jennifer was recent interviewed and featured in Time Magazine's Money section regarding "The Real Cost of Adopting a Kid."
Gay with Kids did an article on "The cost of gay fatherhood" highlighting Jennifer's practice in this area of adoption law.
In November 2012, as part of the Adoption Month, Jennifer appeared on "Making it Last" to discuss private and agency adoption from beginning the process to years after the adoption when adoptees or birth parents search for birth relatives.
Jennifer is the author of the "Adoption Law Handbook" published by the ABA in 2011. The Handbook is the go to guide for adoption professionals for best practices in adoption law. It is a comprehensive guide that covers everything from client intake to finalization of adoptions. It includes forms and resources for every aspect of adoption law. You can order a copy by following this link. http://apps.americanbar.org/abastore/index.cfm?section=main&fm=Product.AddToCart&pid=5130182
Jennifer was interviewed on ABC News Channel 7 in 2012 regarding marriage recognition in Maryland and the parental presumption that is created with a valid marriage.
Jennifer Fairfax recently interviewed about international adoption by Washington Parent Magazine and is featured in the article “Gotcha in my Heart. The joys and challenges of International Adoption”. Click here to enter the website and go to page 58.
Jennifer Fairfax interviewed about LGBT adoption in U.S. News and World Report
Jennifer was a guest on the "Paul Samakow Radio Show" addressing Adoption and ART in Maryland, (Fall 2011).
Jennifer Fairfax has published the following articles:
- Families for Private Adoption, Post Adoption contact agreements.
- Frederick County Newsletter, Adoption Expenses in Maryland
- Resolve Quarterly Newsletter, an article titled, "Adoption Basics"
- Frederick County Bar Newsletter, "Representing LGBT clients who want to build their family through domestic adoption"
- Solo Newsletter for the American Bar Association an article titled "Representing Same Sex Adoption Clients"
- Maryland Family Law Newsletter for the Maryland State Bar Association, and article titled "Representing Lesbian, Gay and Single Parents in Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Technology Cases."
Jennifer has twice appeared on the Law School for the Public television show as a panel speaker on Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Technology.
Teaching and Speaking Engagements
She teaches courses on Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Technology for other legal professionals through:
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys (San Diego, 2013)
- Frederick County Bar Association (2013)
- Inns of Court (2013)
- Montgomery County Divorce Roundtable, (2013)
- Maryland 5th Circuit Judicial Meeting (Winter 2012)
- Anne Arundel Bar Association (Fall 2012)
- American University Law Students for Reproductive Justice (Spring 2012)
- American Bar Association (Spring 2010 );
- District of Columbia Bar Association (October 2012, August 2013)
- Baltimore City Bar Association (2011),
- Free State Legal Services, (2011)
- National Business Institute (2009).
Jennifer has presented seminars for potential parents through:
- Freddie Mac Expo, Adoption from A to Z, Fall 2012
- Grubb Road Pharmacy, "Fertility Options", Fall 2012
- Cradle of Hope Adoption Center, "Starting Adoption," Fall 2012
- Families for Private Adoption, Fall 2011
- George Washington University Lesbian Services Program (working with the Whiteman -Walker clinic) (2007);
- RESOLVE, Inc (2007-2010);
- Rainbow Families D.C., (2012);
- local parenting groups and organizations in Maryland and the District of Columbia on the issues of adoption, surrogacy, family planning, parenting, LGBT legal issues and children’s issues.
Jennifer has been a guest lecturer for law students in 2010 - 2013 at:
- University of Baltimore School of Law, on Contemporary Family Law issues and Adoption/ART for GLBT families
- University of Maryland School of Law on Contemporary family building issues including adoption and ART
- Villanova School of Law, Adoption Law